Monday, July 2, 2012

Favorite Moments...so far

This time I followed Kelly home. On a side note, there are eight PCTs in my village, four of which have names that start with a K sound. Kelly and Kaylee are basically the same person to most Moldovans.

Here are some of my favorite interactions with Moldovans so far:
  • When I first got to my host family's house and my mom was showing me around we reached the bathroom and she told me about the toilet situation. The convo went something like this
    • Mom: Here is the WC, use it whenever you need.
    • Me: Do you have an outside bathroom as well?
    • Mom: Yes, yes, of course. 
    • Me: So what is the difference?
    • Mom: This one is for...little needs. The outside one is for <giant hand waving motion> big needs.
  • My little host brother's questions. Once he decided that I was safe to talk to instead of just yelling my name was a glorious day. Keep in mind, he's five. Here are my two most memorable moments
    • Stefon (pronounced Shh-te-fon) wanted to go out and climb a tree with his friends but needed to put on his autumn shoes. His parents are out in the garden so I am the only one that hears him when he starts crying. I rush out to the room and see that he's having a hard time getting his shoe on so I try and help out but the thing is just not going on. He starts telling me something and all I hear is "Kiiiinnn-delll, <string of romanian words I can't understand> va rog (please)!" I say I don't understand and he just keeps yelling the same thing louder and slower, much like unaware Americans do when dealing with foreigners. Apparently, this is something that is the same across cultures. Anyway, I finally catch a word and spend ten minutes looking it up in my dictionary. Feeling full of pride at having figured out what he wanted I grab a spoon from the kitchen to bring to him (so he can use it as a shoe horn) only to see him running off to climb the tree already having suceeded without my help.
    • A few days ago my friends and I played Moldball (a version of volleyball we made up so we can play without a net, on a soccer field). I was really sweaty and dirty when I got home so hopped in the shower. The showers here don't have doors or curtains around the tub. You just get in and try not to spray water everywhere (I fail at this on a daily basis). Anyway I'm in the shower and hear Stefon come into the house and tap on the bathroom door. I hear his mom say something about how I'm in there so don't go in and he replies ok. A few minutes later I can tell he's still by the door, then the door just opens and I look over to see his little curly haired head pop in and say "Ce faci? (what'cha doing?) It was pretty funny and I'm pretty sure it was the whitest thing he will probably ever see. 
I'm sure I'll have more of these in the future. By the way, this week I find out where my permanent site will be and meet my teaching partners for the next two years! I'm excited and terrified.

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! These are hilarious! "Host siblings" are the best!! (Well at least I can look back and laugh now, I didn't think it was so fun in the moment.) Smart kid to think of a shoe horn, not sure how many U.S. five year olds even know what one is! Or 25 year olds for that matter. Great stuff, look forward to more!! xoxo

    p.s. can you flush the toilet paper? Something we take for granted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey CJ,

      No, you can't which is really odd to me. I mean I can at my house because my family is spectacular but most everywhere else you throw it in a waste basket by the "toilet" (most are the squat kind). They use the sewage to fertilize here which is also something I can't quite wrap my head around.

      Delete